I'm in charge of the combined mutual tonight. We're doing "Winter Fun in the Snow" with lots of 'adapted for snow' games. I saw this recipe on Pinterest and thought it would be a great snack for the kids after they come in from the snow, with hot chocolate of course. It came out really good, as you can see from the picture below...I'd definitely make this again.
- 8 quarts air popped corn (about 2 cups of kernels)
- 1 cup salted butter
- 2 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- 30 “Fun Size” Snickers bars coarsely chopped
- 3 oz melted semi sweet chocolate (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°
- Over medium heat boil butter, brown sugar, salt and corn syrup for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in your baking soda.
- Pour over your popcorn and stir to coat evenly.
- Transfer to waxed paper lined counter and sprinkle peanuts on top. Stir until all is coated evenly.
- Transfer popcorn into a large roasting pan and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and stir in your coarsely chopped Snickers. Return to oven for 3 more minutes so the Snickers begin to melt slightly into the popcorn.
- Remove from pan and transfer popcorn back to wax paper to cool.
- Drizzle melted chocolate on top of popcorn if desired.
- Let set and store in an airtight container.