Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Banana Breakfast Muffins

(pardon the yellow hue to my photo)
I'm NOT a banana fan. So when I have bananas turning the corner to yuck street, I usually throw them in a baggie and put them in the freezer for smoothies. This morning, however, I made muffins. And I was short on time. So I grabbed me a yellow cake mix, and when they were done, I wondered WHY? it took me so long to think of this?!

These babies are moist and delicious, and not so heavy (one of the reasons I don't make banana breads so often).

Gather:
one box classic yellow cake mix (I used Pillsbury)
1/2 cup applesauce
over-ripe bananas (I used five (!) small ones)
three eggs
1/2 cup water

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Peel bananas and throw in the kitchen-aid mixer.
Add applesauce, eggs and water.
Pour in cake mix, and mix until there are no lumps.
Pour by 1/3 cup measures into paper-lined muffin tins.
Sprinkle 1 TBSP streudel topping over batter in tins. (see below)

Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Tops should look slightly browned.

Streudel topping:
1/2 stick margerine or butter
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar

cut butter into dry ingredients until mixed together.

No comments: