Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Mexican Corn Chowder

As was mentioned in my specialty area I like to make a lot of Mexican dishes. Doesn't really qualify me to be an expert, but this is one of my all-time favorite dishes. It's not that hard to make and my whole family loves it.


Mexican Corn Chowder
1 onion chopped
1 t cumin
1 clove garlic
3 T virgin olive oil
Saute onions, cumin garlic in olive oil until browned.
Add:
3 c water (I use juice from cans of corn)
3 chicken boullion cubes
3 med. potatoes cut in cubes
Boil until potatoes are soft
Add:
1 can green chilis chopped
2 cans corn
Turn heat down to low
Add:
1 8oz block of Monterey Jack Cheese shredded
(add it a little bit at a time while stirring it in)
After the cheese is all melted I add 2 c light cream
Serve immediately
I love to serve corn bread with this dinner so I'll include my recipe for that as well. It's a sweeter corn bread which we all prefer over the not-so-sweet version.
Corn Bread
1 1/4 c flour
3/4 c corn meal
1 T baking powder
1 t salt
3/4 c sugar
1 egg
1/4 c oil
3/4 c milk
Add dry ingredients together and mix. Add wet ingredients into a separate bowl and beat egg. Add wet to dry and stir as little as possible. You can make muffins or bread with this recipe. Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes or so. Keep an eye on them while baking. Enjoy!!
CHEF BON VIVANT

No comments: